Grahame N's Web Pages
actual 9.5mm film frames
T.9781 (8 reel 9.5mm sound feature release by Pathéscope May 1958)
"DANGEROUS YEARS" USA Dec1947(US) Feb1948(UK) ----------------- Director: Arthur Pierson Sol M. Wortzel Productions Inc. 63mins B/W Cert "U" Associate Producer: Howard Sheehan (Uncut on 9.5mm) Distributed by: 20th Century Fox Production dates: 15th July to 31st July 1947 Story & Screenplay: Arnold Helgard Director of Photography: Benjamin Kline ASC Production Assistant: Clifford R. Gans Supervising Editor: William Claxton Art Director: Walter Koessler Set Director: All Greenwood Musical Score: Rudy Schrager Musical Supervision: David Chudnow Sound Technician: Max M. Hutchinson Film Editor: Frank Baldridge Make-Up Artist: Jael Casey Hair Stylist: Ireme Beshen Asst. Director: Paul Wurtzel
Marilyn Monroe (waitress)
Cast: William Halop .......... Danny Jones Ann E. Todd ............ Doris Martin Jerome Cowan ........... Weston Anabel Shaw ............ Connie Burns Richard Gaines ......... Edgar Burns Scotty Beckett ......... Willy Miller Darryl Hickman ......... Leo Emerson Harry Shannon .......... Judge Raymond Dickie Moore ........... Gene Spooner Donald Curtis .......... Jeff Carter Harry Harvey, Jr ....... Phil Kenny Gil Stratton, Jr ....... Tammy McDonald Joseph Vitale .......... August Miller Marilyn Monroe ......... Evie Nana Bryant ............ Miss Templeton
Danny Jones, a flashy youngster, incites others in the Gopher Hole club to raid a warehouse. Trapped during the robbery, Jones kills school teacher Jeff Carter and is brought to trial. The prosecutor is District Attorney Edgar Burns who demands the death penalty. Then Miss Templeton, a nurse from the orphanage where Jones had been raised, tells Danny that his real father is Edgar Burns.....
See "Dangerous Years" Marilyn Monroe clips on You Tube: http://youtu.be/zOVNzy1b_DQ
Available on an American
1. One test band printed (20th May 1958) and only one "proper" band printed 19th November 1958. (One band = Three 9.5mm sound prints) The report on the test band noted "small hair on bottom left hand corner". The opening credit "Sol M. Wurtzel Presents" has been replaced with "Pathescope Presents". Otherwise the 9.5mm print appears unchanged. 2. Some sources credit the music score to Rudy Schrager, but this is believed to be a nom-de-plume for Ralph Stanley.
3. Heroine Anne E. Todd is not the famous British actress Ann Todd but an American with a similar name.
4. Dickie Moore, Scotty Beckett and Darryl Hickman used to be members of "Our Gang" , the highly popular series of comedy shorts.
5. Billy Halop appeared on radio from age five and made his stage debut at twelve. He was later cast in the Broadway play "Dead End", Sidney Kingley's searing social drama which centred on six juveniles living in city slums. The young actors transferred to the screen in MGM's 1937 award winning film version. Such was their success that they appeared in numerous sequels as The Dead End Kids and then various other combinations before ending up as The Bowery Boys. By then Halop had moved on to better things, leaving originals Leo Gorsey and Huntz Hall to share the lead. During 1941 Billy enlisted in the Army and, after the War ended, performed as William Halop.
6. Pathéscope were guilty of misleading advertising, implying the film starred Marilyn Monroe - in fact this is one of her first pictures. She has a very small part as "Evie" and was placed number 14 in the cast list! Assistant Director Paul Wurtzel told Leonard Maltin "Fox wanted to see some films of Marilyn because they were interested in signing her up. Ben Lyon, who was head of casting, rang my dad (Producer Sol Wurtzel) and said "Look we need some footage. We don't just want you to do a test, can you write a part in? So they wrote a part as a waitress in this one show". She worked for one day on the film and was paid $125.
(Extra Info gratefully added from Maurice Trace) ZT-9781/gln/14.11.2013
Rather misleading Drive-in Movie Theatre poster
Return to: 9.5MM PATHESCOPE SOUND FILM CATALOGUE ........... ALPHA .......... NUMERIC
Created 15Nov2013 ...... Last updated: 24 January 2014 ...... 95flmcatt9781.htm ......©MMX111 Grahame L. Newnham